August 18, 2011

Admiral Mike Mullen, CJCS ~ BIG Brass

Tonight I'm posting the finished manipulated caricature of  Admiral Mike Mullen, 17th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Most people probably don't know who this guy is and this is the only caricature of him that I know of. I didn't choose him because he was recognizable, I chose him because he was a challenge and he just has great features for a caricature. I did two versions of this. The first is a very large high resolution image, almost 13 inches @ 300DPI. I did this just as if it were a print commission creating a large print ready TIFF of it. I also have a smaller PSD file at 1280 pixels wide which is the standard size for my portfolio. I did both so I could see how close I could get the two, because when you reduce an image of that size by that much, all of the detail and textures are greatly diminished. As a result I had to go through my small PSD file and rework the details and textures as well as small touch ups like hair. Nothing special here but I think I achieved what I was shooting for. The source image is posted below.








Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day and be inspired!